BHSU Sponsors High School Photography Contest

Amy Varland, Proofreader
May 2, 2014
Filed under Audio, News, Photography

High school students across South Dakota are encouraged to enter their photos in a photography contest. Black Hills State University in Spearfish is sponsoring the competition that photography instructors hope gives beginning photographers exposure and helps spur a life-long love of photography in young... Read more »

Jackson To Replace Schallenkamp As BHSU President

Amy Varland, Proofreader
May 2, 2014
Filed under Audio, News, Showcase

Dr. Tom Jackson is replacing Dr. Kay Schallenkamp as president of Black Hills State University in Spearfish. The South Dakota Board of Regents made the announcement on campus Wednesday. Jackson begins his duties as president on July 3rd, 2014. Most recently, Jackson was the vice president for student... Read more »

BHSU Students Photograph A Day In The Life Of Spearfish

Amy Varland, Proofreader
April 15, 2014
Filed under Art & Entertainment, Audio, News, Photography, Showcase

On March 21st students in Black Hills State University’s photojournalism classes took to the streets of Spearfish to document the daily lives of the people that live in their community for the Day In The Life project. Students could choose whatever they wanted to photograph – the only parameters... Read more »

The Jacket Journal is born

The Jacket Journal is born

Amy Varland, Proofreader
April 14, 2014
Filed under News

The Black Hills State University newspaper has gone through many changes since it was first printed in November of 1902. The newspaper was originally called The Normal and, according to the first edition, was created to “sustain the bond of fellowship and interest between graduates and those still... Read more »

South Dakota Women Making History

Amy Varland, Contributing Writer
April 9, 2014
Filed under Audio, News

Notable women right here in South Dakota are breaking some long-held stereotypes, perceptions, and barriers like equal pay and promotions. Take for instance Kay Schallenkamp – Schallenkamp is the first female in 120 years to hold the position of President at Black Hills State University. She... Read more »

Sanford Lab And BHSU Team Up On Underground Campus

Amy Varland, Contributing Writer
April 8, 2014
Filed under Audio, News

The Sanford Underground Research Facility in Lead is teaming up with Black Hills State University to develop a space where students can get a hands-on learning experience outside the classroom. The proposed underground campus at the 4850 level is designed to expose South Dakota college students to... Read more »

College Student Photographs Troops In Afghanistan

Amy Varland, Contributing Writer
April 7, 2014
Filed under Audio, News, Showcase

Julieanne Morse is a mass communication major at Black Hills State University in Spearfish. She also spent nine months of 2013 deployed in Afghanistan with the National Guard’s 129th Mobile Public Affairs Detachment. Much of her time was spent helping other journalists find the resources they needed. During... Read more »

College Student With Autism Encourages Others To Pursue Their Dreams

Amy Varland, Fact Checker
March 12, 2014
Filed under Art & Entertainment, Audio, News, Showcase

Ethan Engel grew up in Winner, South Dakota and has struggled with autism since childhood. Today he is a senior and an Art major at Black Hills State University in Spearfish. Engel is working to show others that despite having a disability, success is possible. Ethan Engel says growing up with autism... Read more »