Project “Spearfish Locala�� Involves Community By Promoting Fresh Food

The Black Hills State University’s Sustainability project “Spearfish Locala�� helps local farmers and producers to promote healthy food by making the community aware of the project. The project encourages the economy’s growth and invites more farmers to grow fresh vegetables in South Dakota.

“Spearfish Locala�� was created to inform the community about where their food comes from. The project helps farmers sell their goods in the local markets and keep money in the Spearfish area. Businesses that participate get a free advertisement on the project’s website and a sticker to put in their window.

“Spearfish Locala�� organizers had a meeting on the BHSU campus to discuss and brainstorm ideas for the project. The mayor, farmers, food analysts, students and professors met and talked about community involvement, participation, upcoming events and how “Spearfish Locala�� can grow bigger and involve more businesses. 14 local restaurants, farmers markets and beer brewers are currently involved with the project.

Rachel Headley, BHSU professor and “Spearfish Locala�� coordinator talked about the expansion.

“We hope it will encourage more local farmers, because right now we have some producers in the area, but they sell all the food that they make. So we need more producers to come to community or for the local producers to expand. So I really hope this just encourages awareness and a growth of local food economy,” said Headley.

Headley said that she and her family like to eat fresh and healthy food no matter where they go – at Spearfish restaurants or traveling in other cities and states.

“For me,the “Spearfish Locala�� brand enables consumers, whether you are a local or traveling through, the ability to know where those places are,” said Headley.

The project’s organizers are planning to get in touch with the Spearfish Visitors Center and talk about promoting the sign on tourists maps which could help newcomers easily locate places where they can eat fresh and local food.

Spearfish mayor Dana Boke shared her excitement of bringing pioneer values back by promoting neighbors, local farmers and the value of hard work. She said it’s worrisome when fresh goods from regular stores do not deteriorate as natural food would.

“It’s good to have something that has flavor and you can remember what a tomato supposed to taste like,” said Boke.

Farmer Trish Jenkins from Cycle Farm said she was encouraged by the meeting because she felt like local farmers are taken for granted in the country.

“It’s just a wonderful, growing movement. It’s very helping for Spearfish.Everybody eats,” said Jenkins.