BHSU Business Students Network with Local Businesses

Taylor Stone

Local business representatives talk to accounting students at the BHSU Accounting Career Fair Sept. 29

Black Hills State University business students had a chance to network with local business professionals the fifth annual Accounting Fair at the Joy Center Sept. 29.

The event allowed students to meet with different area businesses and talk about internships and potential post-college employment. Although the event was mainly for those students who wish to go into accounting, all business students were welcome to see what types of internships and employment were available.

The Accounting Fair encourages junior and senior accounting majors to look at employers they may not have previously considered, according to the BHSU website.

“We come to this one every year,” said Brenda Hampton of Black Hills Corporation. “We usually get our interns from here and usually our interns will get hired on.”

This year’s event had ten local businesses in attendance, from Black Hills Corporation to Northwestern Mutual and the Fred Locke and Company. All but one of this year’s attendees had come to previous accounting fairs.

“It’s been a really good event to hold. The opportunities provided to students have been excellent,” said BHSU assistant professor of accounting Laura Prosser.

BHSU held another accounting Fair at the BHSU-Rapid City campus lobby on the same day.