BHSU students Take on Research Began by Former Psychology Student

Black Hills State University’s Tess Byrd, Robert Russell and Dr. Emilia Flint are continuing the late Gage McSpadden’s research on the effect of aerobic training for people with intellectual disabilities.

Byrd, Russell and Flint have an immense amount of work ahead of them by taking on the responsibility of finishing the late McSpadden’s project.

“Gage was passionate about running and learning, he combined those passions to coach the athletes in the importance of running while also learning the benefits running can provide to improve one’s life,” said general studies major Tess Byrd.

McSpadden was struck by lightning mid-project last summer and passed away July 15, 2015. Students and faculty pulled together to complete the research and fulfill McSpadden’s hopes educating people of the importance of running and the benefits it can have on one’s life.

The students are currently in the process of collecting data and waiting for the time training to be completed. After all of that information is collected, the students and faculty will submit the manuscripts for publishing. The project leaders hope to have it published within a year.

The information collected will benefit the Special Olympics and other organizations and individuals.