BHSU Media

Black Hills Art Association Hosts Fall Art Show in Studio 621

Sarah Ponwith, Online Editor

The Black Hills Art Association presented a series of mediums such as photography, sculptures, jewelry, acrylic paintings and mixed media throughout the weekend. The gallery was open to public viewing on Sept. 23 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sept. 24 from 10 a.m. to 3p.m.  

The Fall Art Show celebrated its 55th annual art show. Various members from the organization submitted their work to be exhibited and critiqued by multiple judges. The fall show also awarded a cash prize to “Best of Show” and “People’s Choice Award”.  

Mary Baker, 62, born and raised in Novato, Calif., did something very few people would ever think of doing. She gathered hair from her dog via combing, then preceded to clean the hair. She spun the fur and knitted it into a hood wrap. “Not many people do that”, she chortled to me with a big grin on her face. Indeed, not many people use dog hair to make clothes, rather they are trying to get the fur off their clothes. 

Only new artwork was accepted into the show. You had to be a member of the Black Hills Art Association and pay a fee of $15 for each item. All items had to be gallery wrapped with wire hangers on the back.

About the Writer
Sarah Ponwith, Graphic Design Assistant

My name is Sarah Ponwith and I am the Online Editor for the Jacket Journal and BHSUmedia.com. I am a sophomore majoring in Bachelor of Fine Arts with an...

Student-run media of Black Hills State University. The Jacket Journal / KBHU-TV / KBHU 89.1 FM & KJKT 90.7 FM "The Buzz".