BHSU Media

BHSU Jacket Zone Presents ‘Skippyjon Jones’ During Weekly Children’s Story Time

Taylor Rowell , Graphic Design Assistant

The Black Hills State University Jacket Zone in Spearfish held their weekly Children’s Story Time event for families on Oct. 7. 

The ‘Children’s Story Time’ events generally last an hour per session. It is a fun opportunity for families to visit, rest and listen to a story and then make some crafts. Everyone gathers to the story time area of the store. Some parents begin to read their children a story while waiting for the event to begin while Disney music plays on the television above. 

The story ‘Skippyjon Jones – Snow What’ by Judy Schachner was read during the main event. BHSU student and Jacket Zone employee, Ashley Ireland, read the story to the children. She energized the characters and let the children interact with the environment in the story. 

An arts and crafts activity is taught to the children afterward. The craft subject relates to the book that was just read to them. The whole group of kids took turns combining baking soda with shampoo and glitter. The combination formed “snow” that will never melt. Ireland helped portion out the snow to each family group and they made their own unique snowmen. Everyone seemed pleased with how they turned out. 

A Skippyjon Jones video of this same story played on the television while the children celebrated their creations with fruit snacks and crackers. 

The BHSU Jacket Zone holds this hour-long event every Saturday from 10 to 11 a.m. and welcomes everyone who wants to attend. The business is located on 617 N Main St. in Spearfish. The story and activities change every week. 

• BHSU Jacket Zone Presents ‘Skippyjon Jones’ During Weekly Children’s Story Time

Campus

New Darkroom Available at Rapid City Campus

Art & Entertainment

Story Time

Campus

Fall Festivities Take Place in Black Hills

Art & Entertainment

Western Exposure’s Photography Show Captures Local Talent

Campus

Dear Journal

Campus

BHSU Students and Community Climb Canyon Cliffs

Community

Devils Tower National Monument Continues to Captivate Crowds Over One Hundred Years After Establishment

Community

Closure of Grocery Stores Affects the Community

• Community

Rapid City Housing Market Findings Among Nation’s Worst

• Community

Bunny’s Heroes Brings Magic to Children

Student-run media of Black Hills State University. The Jacket Journal / KBHU-TV / KBHU 89.1 FM & KJKT 90.7 FM "The Buzz".