Student-run media of Black Hills State University. The Jacket Journal / KBHU-TV / KBHU 89.1 FM & KJKT 90.7 FM "The Buzz".

BHSU Media

BHSU Media

BHSU Media

BHSU Students Enter the Time Warp with C.A.B

The Black Hills State University Campus Activities Board (C.A.B) held an interactive screening of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” in Club Buzz on Oct. 18 from 7 to 9 p.m.

“The Rocky Horror Picture Show” is a musical horror satire and cult classic, featuring the misadventure of a newly engaged couple, Brad and Janet. After blowing a tire in a relentless rainstorm, Brad and Janet seek shelter at a nearby mansion. Inside, the couple are shocked by the bizarre behavior of Dr. Frank-N-Furter and his peculiar companions. Arriving at the mansion during a particularly momentous time, Brad and Janet witness the monstrous “birth” of Frank-N-Furter’s most recent creation, a muscular man named Rocky.

While the movie is quite unique in and of itself, one of the most remarkable aspects of the film is its widespread popularity. Screenings of the film are often accompanied by outrageous cosplay outfits and cues that allow viewers to interact with the movie.

During the screening in Club Buzz, movie-goers were given the option to purchase interactive prop bags for $3. The bag contained items such as rice, which was thrown during the wedding scene, squirt guns, which were used to simulate the rain storm, and other items that relate to scenes in the movie, including a glo-stick, a newspaper, a party hat, a glove, a bell, a confetti cannon, playing cards and toilet paper.

Along with physical props, audience members participated verbally, shouting out “s–t” or “w—e” when a character said Janet’s name and “a–hole” when Brad’s name was mentioned. Several movie-goers added their own commentary, contributing to the tradition.

Two Rocky Horror enthusiasts went as far as to dress up for the event, one portraying Dr. Frank-N-Furter and the other Rocky. Other fans showed their love for the film by singing and dancing along to songs throughout the movie.

The movie screening was one of several events C.A.B has planned during the Halloween season, including a photobooth on Halloween from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m..