Student-run media of Black Hills State University. The Jacket Journal / KBHU-TV / KBHU 89.1 FM & KJKT 90.7 FM "The Buzz".

BHSU Media

Follett and Wilson make BHSU Track & Field history

Alexandra Alverson, Staff Writer

Two outstanding Yellow Jacket athletes made Black Hills State University high jump history. Senior, Paige Follett broke the women’s high jump record with a 5 ft and 5 pt inch jump. Junior, Jacob Wilson broke the men’s high jump record with a 6ft and 9.5 inch jump. Their provisional mark and automatic mark have been established. The two individuals have both accomplished the provisional mark, but that does not mean they’re automatically into the National meet. They both have to be in the top 16 nationally, right now they are both just outside that qualifying height.

Follett broke the high jump record at the Myrle Hanson Memorial Open held at the Donald E. Young Center on Jan. 11. That was the team’s first meet after winter  break. At first Follett didn’t realize that she broke the record.

“I knew I was getting close to breaking it during practice but when I actually broke the record I didn’t know until my coaches told me after jumping. I was thrilled finding I broke it,” Follett said.“I will train harder to jump higher and get mentally prepared for Nationals.”

Junior, Jacob Wilson broke the record at the Dave Little Alumni Mile Invitational also held the following week at the Young Center on Jan. 25.

“It felt great! It was good to see that my hard work paid off. I’ve been battling that height all season and it was good to finally get it. I didn’t know what height I made until after the event was over, and at the moment I was pretty stoked,” said Wilson, when asked how he felt after accomplishing the breaking record.

Wilson says his biggest motivator is when someone else is a good jumper and he has to keep up with them.

“It pushes me to go higher and compete better when I know I have a challenge,” Wilson said.

“I have no doubt in my mind that I know both these individuals are capable to qualify for Nationals. They both are extremely hard workers and have the drive to want to be better and make it all the way. Wilson and Follett are both very confident people and when competing in a bigger state and different element, I think they will welcome the challenge and do well at Nationals,” said Seth Mischke, the head coach of track and field.

BHSU’s next home track meet is scheduled for Feb. 14-15.

• Follett and Wilson make BHSU Track & Field history

Faces of BHSU

Rachel Geier

Faces of BHSU

Carley Hill

Faces of BHSU

Ally Geier

Faces of BHSU

Mikenzie Mikkelson

Faces of BHSU

Wyatt Bills

Jacket Journal

Student Leadership and Organization Honored at 25th Annual SVAC

Jacket Journal

Regional Artist Magnetizes Growing Fans from Ranching Communities

• Jacket Journal

Fried Rewrites Indoor Track and Field Record Board Twice

Jacket Journal

BHSU Photography Professor Accepts Governor’s Award

• Jacket Journal

Fossilized Mosasaur from Local South Dakota Ranch Traveled to National Conference