BHSU Media

Follett and Wilson make BHSU Track & Field history

Alexandra Alverson, Staff Writer

Two outstanding Yellow Jacket athletes made Black Hills State University high jump history. Senior, Paige Follett broke the women’s high jump record with a 5 ft and 5 pt inch jump. Junior, Jacob Wilson broke the men’s high jump record with a 6ft and 9.5 inch jump. Their provisional mark and automatic mark have been established. The two individuals have both accomplished the provisional mark, but that does not mean they’re automatically into the National meet. They both have to be in the top 16 nationally, right now they are both just outside that qualifying height.

Follett broke the high jump record at the Myrle Hanson Memorial Open held at the Donald E. Young Center on Jan. 11. That was the team’s first meet after winter  break. At first Follett didn’t realize that she broke the record.

“I knew I was getting close to breaking it during practice but when I actually broke the record I didn’t know until my coaches told me after jumping. I was thrilled finding I broke it,” Follett said.“I will train harder to jump higher and get mentally prepared for Nationals.”

Junior, Jacob Wilson broke the record at the Dave Little Alumni Mile Invitational also held the following week at the Young Center on Jan. 25.

“It felt great! It was good to see that my hard work paid off. I’ve been battling that height all season and it was good to finally get it. I didn’t know what height I made until after the event was over, and at the moment I was pretty stoked,” said Wilson, when asked how he felt after accomplishing the breaking record.

Wilson says his biggest motivator is when someone else is a good jumper and he has to keep up with them.

“It pushes me to go higher and compete better when I know I have a challenge,” Wilson said.

“I have no doubt in my mind that I know both these individuals are capable to qualify for Nationals. They both are extremely hard workers and have the drive to want to be better and make it all the way. Wilson and Follett are both very confident people and when competing in a bigger state and different element, I think they will welcome the challenge and do well at Nationals,” said Seth Mischke, the head coach of track and field.

BHSU’s next home track meet is scheduled for Feb. 14-15.

• Follett and Wilson make BHSU Track & Field history

Campus

Student Organizations Offer Variety and Inclusion for Students

Campus

New Darkroom Available at Rapid City Campus

Campus

Night Sky

Art & Entertainment

Story Time

Campus

Fall Festivities Take Place in Black Hills

Art & Entertainment

Western Exposure’s Photography Show Captures Local Talent

Campus

Dear Journal

Campus

College Athletes and Play for Pay

Business

Media Students Tour Seaton Publishing

Community

BHSU Jacket Zone Presents ‘Skippyjon Jones’ During Weekly Children’s Story Time

Student-run media of Black Hills State University. The Jacket Journal / KBHU-TV / KBHU 89.1 FM & KJKT 90.7 FM "The Buzz".