All Good Things Must Come to an End

As I am wrapping up my final semester here at Black Hills State University, it takes me back to all the things I’ve done while I was here. I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to work on staff for the campus newspaper as Visual Editor.

This job was much different than what I originally expected, and it turned out to be a great experience. I already felt as though I had a busy schedule, I was a full-time student, captain of the dance team, and worked about 25 hours each week. The opportunity came up to work with the paper and I thought, “Hey this will look great on a resume.” It was so much more than just filler on my resume.

I was able to meet many new people and learn what it would be like having a job in my field of study. Learning things in a classroom setting is one thing. Actually having to apply those skills as well as help other students become better at those same skills was a completely different thing.

While I was on staff, we did a redesign of the hard copy, as well as getting a new website. It was an amazing experience because I was able to work with other members on staff to brainstorm and come up with ideas that would make the paper look modern and fresh.

I think that it is good for anyone to get involved in some sort of activity on campus that they are passionate about. I was lucky enough to not only have a great group of girls to dance with the last 5 years I was here, but to have met many more friends with another similar passion as mine while working for the newspaper.