A Bittersweet Goodbye

The question I have been asked the most in my past four years at Black Hills State University is, “why would you come here from Colorado?” My answer to this has always been because of the beauty. The Black Hills are one of the most beautiful places in the world and BHSU is right in the center of this beauty. As I have gotten asked this question more over the years I have more reasons to tell people why I chose the Black Hills and why BHSU has been such a great place to receive my college degree from.

After my first week as a freshman I was blown away by the faculty at BHSU. Professors actually cared if you were in class — they remembered your name and wanted you to talk to them one-on-one if you had questions. This was something that I had never heard of. I had imagined college professors to be ambivalent and dull, and I was so wrong. I have never been so interested in learning new things and getting involved on campus. Each and every one of my professors has changed my outlook on education and learning.

Dr. Caton-Rosser deserves a huge thanks. She helped me get involved on campus with the Jacket Journal. She has guided me and has helped me achieve things I never thought were possible, like being in charge of seventeen student workers, and teaching me to be not only a manager but a leader for the news organization. Working as the Editor-in-Chief has given me a much broader outlook on life. I have had the chance to connect with student workers, faculty and staff that have helped me see beyond the mass communication field by introducing me to their own stories. I have had the privilege to talk to and interview some of the most amazing people, which I will never forget.

I am so grateful for the time I have spent at BHSU and with the Jacket Journal staff. I have made friends on staff that will last a lifetime.
If I could tell incoming freshman one thing it would be to have a solid group of friends — you will make it through the best/hardest/craziest years with a good group of friends. I might not have come back after my first year if it wasn’t for six amazing girlfriends that stood by my side through everything. A broken foot, the shingles, heartache, homesickness and more — the list could go on forever. Megan Walker, Ashley Hein, Rachel Richardson, Kenzie Watson, Carole Brazier and Kaitie Schneidera��thanks for being the best friends a girl could ask for. The past four years have been the best yet, without you ladies life would have been — pretty dull to say the least.

I could go on about the people that have helped me along my way at BHSU. Thank you to everyone who has helped me in my journey.