BHSU Media

Black Hills State University Underground Campus Soon To Be Available for BHSU Students

The layout of the interior of the cleanroom will be two separate rooms. Located inside will be different types of instruments to conduct experiments underground.

Photo courtesy of David Taylor, Sanford Lab

Alison Turner, Science Writer

The Black Hills State University Underground Campus (BHUC) will be ready for occupancy in the fall of 2015. The campus will be housed in a cavern at 4,850 feet underground at the Sanford Lab in Lead, S.D.

This underground campus will allow college students to further their education as well as participate in research opportunities. Bree Reynolds, a STEM Education Specialist at Black Hills State University and the Sanford lab, said the classroom would allow students “to do research and participate with different activities with faculty.”

The BHUC will be dividend into two spaces. One space will be approximately 600 square feet and the other will be a cleanroom of 1,000 square feet.

The 1,000 square foot cleanroom will be divided into a class 1,000 side and a class 10,000 side. This room will have the capabilities to filter out particles from the incoming air. The different classes of cleanrooms are determined by how many particles are present in a room per volume.

Brianna Mount, research assistant professor at the School of Natural Sciences at BHSU, said that, “The class 1,000 side will be mainly used for instruments to support physics, and the class 10,000 side will be mainly for biology and geology applications.”

There is potential that the BHUC could be connected with classes offered at BHSU. There will be a Web page for students to submit their experiment proposals. If chosen, the experiments will be conducted at the underground campus.

• Black Hills State University Underground Campus Soon To Be Available for BHSU Students

Campus

What are your Expectations for Fall of 2018

Campus

SELC Hires New Staff for 2017- 2018 to Increase Student Involvement

Community

How to Keep your Brain Active

Campus

I Graduated! Now What?

Campus

Jace DeCory Reflects on 33-year BHSU American Indian Studies Legacy

Community

CBD Oil Holds the Benefits of Medicine Without the High 

Campus

Government to Blame for Student Debt Crisis in U.S.

Campus

Hidden Gems

Campus

CRUX Climbing Club to Host First Annual Spearfish Scramble on April 28th

Campus

Students Walk Out of Class in Protest When They Should Walk Up

Student-run media of Black Hills State University. The Jacket Journal / KBHU-TV / KBHU 89.1 FM & KJKT 90.7 FM "The Buzz".