Honors Club revives BH Pantry for Students in Need

The Black Hills State University Honors club brought the BH Pantry back to life this semester to help students and student families who need food, household and personal items.

The Honors club was given the opportunity to revive the program — which has passed through a few student organizations over the years — last fall. They worked with the university to find a semi-private location for the pantry, and started stocking.

“It’s great that they’re bringing it back. It gets tough for students at the end of the semester, when money starts getting tight,” said Joseph Bueno, a BHSU political science major.

Donations come from honors students, faculty members, and community members. A few local churches have also shown interest in donating items, according to assistant professor of English Dr. Courtney Huse-Wika. She said the support from the community has been outstanding.

The pantry is currently in need of canned fruit, vegetables, soup, and boxed items like rice and noodle meals. Huse-Wika said that personal and household items like laundry detergent, body wash, deodorant, first-aid items, and shampoo/conditioner are also appreciated.

Any student can use the pantry to meet his or her needs. It is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (excluding holidays and weekends) in the hallway of the Humbert Testing Center.

The Honors club plans on fundraising and collecting additional donations in April. Contact Dr. Courtney Huse-Wika at [email protected] or 605-642-6918, or see Nancy Shuck in the testing center for more information.