BHSU Media

Empty Bowls Help Feed Local Stomachs

+%0D%0ACommunity+members%2C+college+students%2C+and+professors+gather+for+the+annual+Empty+Bowls+fundraiser+and+silent+auction+Oct.+19+at+the+Deadwood+Social+Club.+%0D%0A

Community members, college students, and professors gather for the annual Empty Bowls fundraiser and silent auction Oct. 19 at the Deadwood Social Club.

Taylor Stone

Taylor Stone

Marina Curuchet, Contributing Writer

Community members, college students, and professors participated in the annual Empty Bowls dinner and silent auction at the Deadwood Social Club on Oct. 19.

Empty Bowls focused on bringing the community together to raise awareness about local hunger and raise money for those who are in need in and around local communities. The event also raised money for the photography club. Empty Bowls is meant for people to think locally about the issues that one hears about every day on a global scale, but fail to realize that those issues are happening right in their own towns.

The event allows participants – for a small donation of $10 – to eat soup and take home a donated handmade pottery piece while enjoying photographs displayed by the Shutter Buzz Club — a photography club at Black Hills State University — for a silent auction.

The donation goes to the Lead-Deadwood Food Bank and the Spearfish Food Bank to help feed people in the region struggling with hunger. The silent auction is a yearly fundraiser for Shutter Buzz.

This event was unique in how most fundraising events don’t give out too much to the donators, but there was an incentive for both participations in the silent auction as well as the soup dinner.

Assistant professor of mass communication Jerry Rawlings started Empty Bowls in 2004.

“Even here in South Dakota there are a lot of hungry people that can’t afford to go out and buy groceries all the time,” Rawlings said.

The event was a hit with students. BHSU mass communications student Catherine Gallagher attended the event.

“I like that it is local and it’s not like supporting somewhere you don’t know — it’s really nice to feel like you’re helping the community,” Gallagher said

• Empty Bowls Help Feed Local Stomachs

Campus

Hidden Gems

• Empty Bowls Help Feed Local Stomachs

Campus

CRUX Climbing Club to Host First Annual Spearfish Scramble on April 28th

• Empty Bowls Help Feed Local Stomachs

Campus

Students Walk Out of Class in Protest When They Should Walk Up

• Empty Bowls Help Feed Local Stomachs

Campus

Students Across the Nation Walked Out of Class After Recent School Shooting

• Empty Bowls Help Feed Local Stomachs

Art & Entertainment

Etymology

• Empty Bowls Help Feed Local Stomachs

Campus

BHSU Sets a Goal to be Zero Waste by the Year 2030 

• Empty Bowls Help Feed Local Stomachs

Faces of BHSU

What is Your Good News?

• Empty Bowls Help Feed Local Stomachs

Campus

BHSU Provides Many Recycling Opportunities Across Campus 

• Empty Bowls Help Feed Local Stomachs

Community

Students Use Recycled Shirts to Make Toys for Dogs 

• Empty Bowls Help Feed Local Stomachs

Campus

Students Reflect on Their Experience Teaching in Botswana

Student-run media of Black Hills State University. The Jacket Journal / KBHU-TV / KBHU 89.1 FM & KJKT 90.7 FM "The Buzz".
Empty Bowls Help Feed Local Stomachs