BHSU Students Gather to Remember Meliora Bachelor

Laura Heisinger

Black Hills State University students light candles during a candlelight vigil held for Meliora Bachelor in the Student Union Atrium Dec. 5.

Black Hills State University students gathered in the student union atrium Dec. 5 to pay tribute to Meliora Bachelor, who passed away Nov. 30 in Spearfish, SD. Bachelor was a BHSU student and active member the Enactus and Gay-Straight Alliance organizations.

Students held a candlelight vigil and took turns speaking about the impact Bachelor had on them and shared their memories of her. BHSU Concert Chorus sang “Amazing Grace.”

Rachel Ridinger,a senior with a double major in Psychology and sociology, knew Bachelor through BHSU and enjoyed spending time with her.

“Many people thought of Meliora through her wittiness and contagious laugh. She never hesitated to challenge people’s perspectives when asking questions,” she said.

Racheal Shuck,a junior majoring in sociology, met Bachelor a year ago and said, “Meliora made the best Parfaits, I am going to miss her outgoingness and personality.”

Karrah Dawson,a senior majoring in business with an emphasis in entrepreneurial studies and a minor in outdoor education, met Bachelor in 2013 and reflected on their shared interests.

“We met in theater class and talked nonstop about Avatar The Last Air Bender,” she said.

Professor of History and GSA advisor Kelly Kirk was thankful for Bachelor’s advocacy.

“I loved Meliora’s contribution, She was bold and beautiful,” she said.