BHSU Media

BHSU Students and Community Climb Canyon Cliffs

Sarah Ponwith and Ian Osborn

The beginner rock climbing class, CRUX Climbing Club and the Collegiate Outdoor Leadership Program hosted a climbing event at Skeletal Remains in Spearfish Canyon on Oct. 15. The students and the public were invited to climb and socialize with others from 2 to 4 p.m.

“I really liked the concept of people working really hard to get up the rock,” said third-year outdoor education major, Sierra Frazier. Frazier came out with the climbing class to put her skills to use on real rock walls. The climber must work through a series of movements using certain techniques. Spearfish Canyon consists primarily of limestone. The rock formation itself hosts features such as pockets, crimps, ledges and pinches.
CRUX and COLP provided the gear for the event and came early to set up a multitude of routes. Black Hills State University Professor of Outdoor Education and instructor of the rock climbing class, Chris McCart, supervised the event. McCart checked people in, provided them with gear and ensured a fun, safe experience.
“This is the closest to rock climbing I have ever been. It was exciting, fun and way harder than the indoor rock wall,” said event attendee and sophomore outdoor education student Kevin George.
The indoor climbing wall located in the Donald E. Young Center will be open from 6 to 8 p.m. on Wednesday nights. The wall is used for education, public recreation and winter training for climbers. Be on the lookout for future events hosted by CRUX and COLP if you are interested in climbing.

Nathaniel “Deo” Scott fights his way up to the beginning of the route ‘Lone Jonny & His 10-Inch Neck

About the Writer
Sarah Ponwith, Graphic Design Assistant

My name is Sarah Ponwith and I am the Online Editor for the Jacket Journal and BHSUmedia.com. I am a sophomore majoring in Bachelor of Fine Arts with an...

Student-run media of Black Hills State University. The Jacket Journal / KBHU-TV / KBHU 89.1 FM & KJKT 90.7 FM "The Buzz".