BHSU Media

Matthews Opera House art gallery holds annual Winter Art Show in Spearfish

Becky Kindvall

The Matthews Opera House art gallery held its annual Winter Art Show Jan. 20-28 at their location on Main Street in Spearfish.

The event draws a large crowd every year. The show was open to professional and amateur artists who wished to participate and was open to the public.

The Winter Art Show was a chance for artists of all media to showcase and be recognized for their work.

There wer many categories for the art show. They were divided by age range. The categories were pre-Kindergarten, grade school, middle school, high school, and adult. The gallery held an artists reception and awards ceremony Jan. 21, where winners from each category were crowned.

Roger Oa��Dea took first place in the Adult — Photography category for his piece, “History.” Ethan Engel also took the top spot in the Adult — Mixed Media category for his piece, “Overcast.”

There were also winners in the youth categories. Vivian Steckline won first place in the High School — Pencil category for her piece, “Made of Stars.” Rio Sexton was awarded first prize in the Grade School — Assemblage and Welding category for his piece, “Killer Robot.” Justin Fossum won first place for his piece in the Middle School — Paper/Wood category for his piece, “Origami Bugs.”

Student-run media of Black Hills State University. The Jacket Journal / KBHU-TV / KBHU 89.1 FM & KJKT 90.7 FM "The Buzz".